Posted by: liv | March 14, 2011

Last Day of 28

Before I get on with today’s post, can someone tell me how to minimize spammers on here?  I can’t stand it.

Ok, now that that is out of the way, I can barely walk people!  I ran the Safari Park Half Marathon yesterday at the Safari Park (formerly known as the San Diego Wild Animal Park) in Escondido.  The course started with us running out of their parking lot and onto the roads, where you saw parts of the San Pasqual Valley area.  That included things like horses, cows, orange fields, and some residential areas.  Around the 6 mile mark, we finally entered a back entrance to the park and ran around a little bit of it, seeing elephants, the big lake with flamingos, and some more!  It was quite beautiful.  We then ran outside of the park for a little while, and then turned around to head towards the finish.  Heading back to the finish basically equated to running back the way we came, up until the 11 mile mark, we passed by the parking lot and headed towards another opening to the park, where we ran all the way to the finish line.  Phew!  It turns out that the road we finished on is part of the safari tram pathway.

In a way, we got some really cool access to see some animals.  Some people saw more than others.  I took some pictures as I was running, but towards the end, I saw rhinos on my way to the finish and didn’t take a pic so I could finish the race strong (or as fast as I could so I would stop having to run).  My final chip time (chip = a thing on my shoe that when stepping on various mats will calculate my time at that point…also helps differentiate the time between you and when the gun went off) was 2 hours, 41 minutes, 50 seconds.  It is technically 5 minutes slower than my first half marathon time, but this road was hilly and I didn’t train all that much for it (how sad), so I did well overall.

Would I do this race again?…probably not.  I don’t like to repeat that many races, and this race was very hilly.  After the race was over, leaving the parking lot was really disorganized.  Lucky for us, we planned on staying and enjoying some time walking around the park (even though we were dead from 13.1 miles), but the people trying to leave were not so lucky.

Anyways, here are some pictures I took while running the race (yes, I stopped to take pics of the run).

Just starting (the sun was just coming up)


Me, Jenny, and my brother
My cheerleader/photographer/supporter Shawn

And just for good measure, here is a big view of some of where we ran…after most of it was taken down.  We took this picture from a higher point.

Gorgeous.  Shawn also took some really nice pictures.  Maybe later tonight, I’ll post some of his.  He took pictures of me running and some really cool animal pictures when we walked around the park.

My brother and his friends ended up on the 10pm news last night after being somewhat asked about the race.  Hopefully, I can find it and post it on here!


Also, today is the last day of me being 28 years old.  I just ended my 28th year of life sore as hell.  It’s cool.  This week is really busy, you’ll hear about it later! 🙂


Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s


%d bloggers like this: